South Central Oregon Incident Management Team, Leland Hunter
For Immediate Release: ( )
541-728-1999 or 541-947-6243
Bybee Creek Fire, Crater Lake National Park
- The Bybee Creek Fire once again became active in the afternoon hours , spotting up towards the Rim Road and into the caldera. Fire Management made the decision to temporarily close the road from Discovery Point to North Junction to protect the public as firefighters continue with fire operations.
- Firefighters are utilizing tactics that provide for firefighter and public safety while achieving full suppression objectives. To keep the fire from reaching the ridgeline, strategies include fugitive retardant drops. This type of retardant fades quickly and is designed to be used in wilderness areas.
- Crews will continue to construct fire line, prepare for fire operations along old fire line and utilize helicopters for water drops. If weather conditions are favorable, firefighters will put fire to the ground from the West Rim Road back down to the fire.
- Firefighters are working to keep the fire east of the Pacific Crest Trail, south of the Lightning Springs Trail and west of the Crater Lake Rim Drive.
- Fire operations are visible from the Rim Road and there is increased traffic in the park as well as aerial operations. We caution visitors to only stop at designated pullouts to take pictures or view the fire.
- Fire danger remains high, the public should be aware of their surroundings and prepared for changing conditions.
- Weather concerns are low relative humidity and gusty winds.
- Crater Lake National Park implemented Stage Level 1 fire restrictions at July 31, 2016.
For more information: http://tinyurl.com/zrm2nh6
- Closure Information: The Pacific Crest Trail is closed from Dutton Creek Camp north to the PCT parking lot on North Entrance Road. PCT hikers use Dutton Creek Trail to the Rim Trail as an alternate route. Lightning Springs Trail and backcountry camp are closed. There may be periodic closures of the alternate route.
- The West Rim Drive from Discovery Point to North Junction is temporarily closed.
Location: Crater Lake National Park
Date Started: July 28
Cause: Unknown/ Under investigation
Water Tenders: 3
Size: 720 acres
Air Support: 5 helicopters + 2 fixed wing air tankers
Total Personnel: 279