Scroll Down for More Updates -- Follow us on Twitter @nwccinfo

Monday, August 22, 2016

8/22/16 Withers Fire

Fire Update - Monday, August 22, 2016 - 8 a.m.

 
Withers Fire:  After working through five days of record high temperatures and gusty winds, firefighters have solidified 85 percent of the perimeter and shifted to a primarily monitoring and mop up operation.
 
Crews will continue reinforcing and strengthening the remaining 15 percent, which lies on the far west side of the containment area away from the community of Paisley. An expected shift in wind direction should help those efforts.
 
Forest Road No. 33 (also known as the River Road) from the junction with Forest Road No. 3315 (also known as the High Road) to Jones Crossing, was reopened to the public Sunday evening, and the Level 3 evacuation order for the Chewaucan River campgrounds has been lifted. A closure order remains in effect  for Forest Road No. 3315 (also known as the High Road)Travelers must detour through Government Harvey Pass to access areas west and south of the fire zone.
 
A final public meeting is scheduled for 6 p.m. this evening at Paisley Community Center. Fire, law enforcement and agency officials will discuss what’s been accomplished, the current status of the incident  and next steps.
 
Temperatures are expected to start tapering off today and through the week. A Red Flag Warning will be in effect from noon to 9 p.m. today with the potential for gusty winds in the afternoon. Fire danger remains extreme.
 
The South Central Oregon Fire Management Partnership (SCOFMP) Type 3 incident management team will transfer the operation to BLM oversight on Tuesday. About 80 percent of the fire was on the BLM Lakeview District, with the remaining 20 percent in private ownership.
 
Many resources called in to help with the containment effort are being released back to their home units for new fire starts or other fires needing additional support.
 
Law enforcement and fire officials are actively investigating the incident as a criminal arson.  Anyone with information is asked to call 541-947-2504.
 
Residents and area visitors are asked to be extra-cautious when using anything that could cause a flame or spark. For information about Public Use and Fire Restrictions on federal and state lands in Lake and Klamath counties visit www.scofmp.org.  It only takes one coal or ember to spark a wildfire!
 
South Central Oregon Fire Management Partnership (SCOFMP) is a consortium of resources provided by BLM Lakeview District, Fremont-Winema National Forest, Oregon Department of Forestry, U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service Sheldon-Hart Mountain and Klamath Basin refuges, and Crater Lake National Park, working cooperatively to suppress and/or manage wildfires on state, federal and private lands in Lake and Klamath Counties, encompassing approximately 10 million acres.
 
Road Closures:  Forest Road No. 3315 (also known as the High Road) from the junction with Forest Road No. 33 to the intersection with Forest Road No. 3360 remains closed. 


Quick Facts
Incident Summary

Approximate Acreages
 
Withers Fire: 3,424 acres
 
Fire
Containment:
Withers Fire: 85%
 
Incident Commander:
Leland Hunter, South Central Oregon Fire Management Partnership Incident Management Team, Type 3
Resources
on the
Fire:
Crews: 5
Squad: 0
Engines: 12
Water Tenders: 2
Bulldozers: 2
Helicopters: 2
SEATS: 0
Air Attack: 0
Total
Personnel:
179
Structures Lost: 0
0 Residence
0 other structures
Jurisdiction:
Bureau of Land Management & Oregon Department of Forestry
Evacuations
None
SOCIAL MEDIA LINKS
Twitter:  @scofmpfireinfo
Facebook: http://facebook.com/scofmpfireinfo

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.